If you are planning to file for divorce, scheduling a consultation with an experienced family lawyer should be on your list of priorities. To make the most of this meeting, it is essential to be prepared and bring certain key documents to your consultation. The more prepared you are, the better your attorney can help you.
Preparing for Your Consultation
No two divorces are alike, so there may be some differences in what one will have to prepare before attending a consultation. That said, there are some documents that will likely be necessary for most.
Here are some of the documents you will need to prepare for your initial consultation with your divorce lawyer:
- Tax returns for the past two years
- Copies of financial statements, including bank statements and credit card statements
- Copies of deeds and titles to vehicles
- Mortgage statements
- Proof of separate property claims
- Paystubs or proof of income for the past 12 months (Schedule C or Profit and Loss, if self-employed)
- If you were already served papers, bring them and you should know the date you were served with them
- Documentation providing the date of the marriage, date of separation, and courthouse and case number
- Proposed child custody regular schedule, if you have one
- Proposed child custody holiday and vacation schedule, if you have one
You should also prepare a list of questions you wish to ask. Asking the right questions will give you a clearer idea of the process and help set realistic expectations. Moreover, you can learn more about your prospective attorney and assess whether or not you feel comfortable with your choice. Divorce is a very emotional and personal experience, so it is crucial to choose an attorney with whom you feel at ease.
Schedule a Free Case Review with One of Our Experienced Divorce Lawyers Today!
Divorce can be a challenging process to get through, which is why it is important to hire an attorney to represent you and walk you through each step. At Kraft Miles, A Law Corporation, our knowledgeable family law team has more than six decades of combined experience and a history of proven success. When you choose to work with us, you will receive the assistance of a legal team that is committed to professionalism, integrity, and ensuring the best possible results for our clients.
Reach out to our law office today at (818) 462-5076 to schedule an initial consultation with a member of our divorce team to get started on your case and learn more about what we can do for you.